Tuesday, June 15, 2021

A Case Like No Other


I was working on a case when I got assigned a new partner. Her name was Amy, and she was beautiful. Her bright smile always lit up whatever room she was in. She was short as well, all of the guys in my precinct could easily tower over her. She usually just laughed it off and went back to her desk.

It was a missing persons case, my best friend and former partner Jack had been MIA for a few weeks. We had been best friends since we met in the academy, and partners for the last five. I pulled out his missing persons file, and looked it over. He was blonde, tall and handsome. He could've been a football star if he wanted, his strength and speed were always used to great effect in chasing criminals.

He went missing a few weeks ago and we hadn’t heard from his since. He was working on a case, a mad scientist who would kidnap people and mutilate them, really awful stuff. I assumed the same thing happened to him when the file dropped on my desk one morning.

The file hit my desk, and I had to rescue my coffee from almost spilling as Amy leaned against my desk. "Looks like we got a break on the scientist and your old partners case. They have a victim at the hospital and he er... she is in pretty bad shape,” she said, her voice as sweet as honey.

The drive wasn’t long but I kept shooting glances at Amy. I knew that she was new but there was something telling me that I had seen her before, as if we had known each other for way longer. She smiled and giggled as our eyes met, quickly taking a sip of her coffee afterwards. I caught the smell, French Vanilla with extra cream and sugar. That was how Jack liked it, I remember telling him that all those sugars couldn’t be great for his heart. He laughed it off and told me that he needed the energy. “These criminals won’t catch themselves after all,” he used to say. Must’ve been popular where she came from.

A few moments later and we finally arrived at the hospital. A nurse showed up and showed us the way to where the victim was. She was screaming and clawing at the doctors and nurses to be released. “Where’s master?! I need my master!” she screamed at the top of her lungs. I ended up cuffing her to the hospital bed after she attacked me, Amy pulled her off of me and their eyes met. They stared at each other for a while, expressionless. Motionless. I grabbed the girl and put her back on the bed. She was calm now, she ended up answering Amy’s questions over mine. I just assumed that she was more confident with a female officer over a male one.

After extracting some information, we went back to the precinct. The rest of the day was pretty normal, minus the glances that Amy and I were constantly passing and glancing at each other. I couldn’t stop thinking about her that night, she was gorgeous. Funny. Smart. Perfect. I fell asleep dreaming about her, it was a truly pleasant night.

As the next week went by, I tried looking for some more leads. There were some more victims who Amy and I saw and we got to know each other a little bit more. We even planned a little date during our lunch break. 

Amy turned out to be a very good replacement for Jack, we seemed to get into a grove with our cases and worked well together. All in all if I had to get a new partner, I was glad that Amy got dropped in my lap. It didn’t hurt that she liked the same crappy deli Jack introuduced me to for our lunches. I didn’t expect a woman like her to enjoy that kind of thing.

The day after, there was a note that came into my desk. It was unmarked in an all white envelope but I opened it nonetheless. “Hello detective,” the note began. “This is the scientist. Well…my words at least. Congratulations on all your hard work. You’ve done a great job at finding your friend. If you want to find me, come to the old warehouse on Southside. See you soon detective.”

I shot up from my desk and gathered everyone I could. Today was the day we finally got that son of a bitch. Cars and vans raced past with their sirens blaring so people could get out of the way. Soon enough, everyone arrived at the warehouse. The SWAT team were the first ones to leave their van. There was loud commotion and dogs barking.

There were commands thrown left and right. Amy and I went by ourselves as everyone else split up. The interior of the warehouse was dark and dingy, we could only see because of our flashlights. After a few minutes of searching, we found it. A dark room with surgical tools in piles on tables. There were also pictures with that bastard’s victims, one caught my eye. It was Jack. He was barely recognizable, his face was mutilated almost beyond recognition with surgical lines on his face. What did that bastard do to him?!

There was one problem however. The scientist wasn’t there. The entire warehouse was empty. It was a dead end, the only good thing was that we found evidence and pictures. We had one end but not the other, he still had to be found.

We drove back to the precinct in shame, Amy held my hand as we drove back. It felt nice as her soft hand gave warmth. “I’m sorry Jake,” she said. “How about I make it up to you. Dinner at my place after our shift ends?” I nodded and went back to focusing on the road. 

A few hours later and our shifts had finally ended. We all went home and Amy gave me her number and her address. Weird. I already seemed to have it. Where did I know her from? 

I finally arrived at the address an hour later. It was a small apartment building, seemingly made for small families or single people. I went up to her door and knocked.

Our eyes met after she opened the door. “Oh. Hey Jake. Didn’t expect you so soon,” she giggled and waved for me to come in. I moved to the couch and we made some small talk before she came back in the living room. She just stood there silently and ominously. I stood up and tried to move to her and then…nothing. It was dark. I must’ve been knocked out. But by who?


When I finally came to, I was strapped to a surgical table. It was completely dark still. Then, I felt a hand on my face. It was soft, it had to be Amy. She must’ve been there to rescue me! “I’m so sorry…Jackie,” she whispered into my ear. Jackie? Who the hell was Jackie? Suddenly, the lights turned on. I looked down and saw long brown hair on my sides. I had boobs. Actual boobs! What happened to me?

“She’s finally awake,” I heard a voice say. There were slow claps and then…him. That bastard scientist. He added a picture to a clothesline, I assumed it was of me but I couldn’t make it out. He pulled a sock out of my mouth and I could finally speak again. “What the fuck did you do to me?” I spat at him. I couldn’t identify my own voice. It was high and feminine, a huge difference between my original low voice.

“You just don’t understand, do you? The same thing I did to your friend here, I did to you. You’re my perfect specimen,” he said, walking up to me and placing his hands on my face. I spat on him, he just chuckled and slapped my face. I couldn’t handle the pain. I could before but now that this happened, the softness of my skin couldn’t absorb it properly.

“Amy? What did he do to you?” I asked, looking at her as she stood silently. She looked like she was about to speak but the scientist stopped her. “Your simple mind can’t handle my genius. Amy wasn’t always Amy. Think back to when you first met her. Think about your friend. Let me spell it out for you.” He then leaned down and held my face in his hands. “Jack and Amy are one and the same.”

I couldn’t believe it. They were the same person! That son of a bitch did this to him! “I’ll kill you,” I said angrily. “I bet you would. Too bad you’re tied down and about to die, detective,” he grinned and turned over to Jack…Amy…whoever they were! 

He pulled out a handgun, an average looking that you would find in any armory, and handed it to Amy. “Kill her,” he commanded. She pointed the gun at me, I closed my eyes and accepted my fate. “I love you Amy,” were my last words. At least, I thought they would be. I heard a gunshot but didn’t feel any pain. I slowly opened my eyes to see Amy holding the gun with smoke coming out of the barrel. She had definitely fired it. I couldn’t see the scientist anywhere, after she had freed me from my shackles I then saw him lifeless on the ground with a bullet hole in his forehead. She had killed him.

She turned to me and broke down with tears in her eyes. I held her tightly as she cried in my arms. We heard sirens as we held each other, tears falling from both of our eyes now. The rest of our team finally found us and held us as they brought us back into the world and into the back of the cop car. 

We were brought back to the precinct and given new clothes. This was my body now, I had to wear something that fit it. I looked pretty cute in it, well that’s what Amy thought. I kissed her forehead and kept her warm until we were finally allowed to go home. She agreed to let me stay at her place for the night and I couldn’t have been happier. 

We started dating soon after. The missing persons case was finally solved and I got a girlfriend out of it. She really is amazing. I knew she was originally my best friend which made it better for me. That meant that I knew her inside and out. She really is the love of my life.

I’m going to propose soon. As soon as my next paycheck comes in, I’m picking out a ring for her. Amy had some everything she could for me and now it was time to return the favor. Sure, getting new records and proper identification was exhausting but she helped me through all of it and kept me safe. 

I just know she’s going to say yes. She talks about when we get married and who’s going to propose first. I spotted her at a jewelry store recently but I wanted to get a ring for her just in case. I can’t wait to call her my wife. I’m ready to spend the rest of my life with the person I love most. 



1 comment: